Breaking your tooth can be really frightening, but it’s important to take certain steps to save your natural tooth. Acting quickly can ensure that your whole tooth can be saved. Sometimes this cannot happen due to the type and severity of the break, but you should follow certain steps regardless. You may wonder what to do with a broken tooth. Below you will find helpful tips for how to preserve your tooth in the case that you break it.
What to Do With a Broken Tooth?
Consider the following steps if you break your tooth.
- Find all of the broken pieces that are not attached to your tooth. You’ll want to put them directly into a clean, dry container so you can take them to the dentist.
- Rinse what’s left in your mouth with warm water. This step is crucial as it can help reduce the risk of infection.
- You’ll likely experience some swelling and discomfort, especially if your tooth broke due to trauma. Place a cold compress on the side of your face where the tooth is broken. Be gentle and don’t keep the cold compress on for too long. You’ll want to keep it on your face for around five minutes, and repeat every twenty minutes for the first few hours.
- Contact your dentist as soon as you can! Tell them exactly what happened and follow their recommendations. You may be able to wait until their regular office hours for an appointment, but in some cases you may need emergency dentistry services the same day.
After you have been treated by a dental professional, it’s important to take good care of your tooth while it is healing. Follow your dentist’s instructions for how to care for your teeth after you have been treated.
Emergency Dentistry Services
Emergency dentistry services offer same-day appointments for dental injuries. There are major benefits in seeing an emergency dentist versus going to the emergency room. Unlike dentists, emergency room doctors do not specialize in dentistry. While they are great at handling emergencies, dental treatment is highly specific. An emergency room doctor can help stop your bleeding and help with pain and discomfort. However, they cannot focus on restoring your tooth or paying close attention to the cosmetic issues that may occur. Going to an emergency dentist can provide the same services as an emergency room doctor and more. An emergency dentist in Yucaipa will be able to focus on restoring your natural to ensure you maintain a straight and bright smile.
Below are some of the services an emergency dentist can provide in the event that you have broken your tooth.
- Root Canals: Bacterial infections from root canals can be very painful. Root canal treatment can get rid of the pain and prevent the infection from spreading.
- Tooth Extractions: In the case that your natural tooth cannot be saved, you may need to get it extracted. There are a variety of tooth replacement options available after the area has healed.
- Dental Bonding: If your injury resulted in a minor chip or crack in your tooth, dental bonding is a great option to restore the look of your natural tooth.
- Crowns and Bridges: These are helpful options that provide full tooth replacement or repairs in the event that your natural tooth was able to be saved.
Shodhan Dentistry in Yucaipa
If you have broken your teeth and need treatment, contact the team at Shodhan Dentistry of Yucaipa. They are skilled in a variety of dental services and offer emergency dentistry services so you can get into their office the same day.