Having your teeth straightened with braces can do wonders for your oral health and your confidence. Straight teeth can make you feel more confident, so you can fully smile without any inhibitions. Also, crooked teeth can lead to cavities as harmful bacteria can get stuck in the crevices of your teeth. This can ultimately lead to inflammation and even gum disease if left untreated. The most common methods for straightening teeth are traditional metal braces. While braces are most often worn during adolescence or even early adulthood, adults can get orthodontic treatment. But what is the right age for braces? Can you be too old for orthodontic treatment?
Braces and Adulthood
While the ideal time to get braces is during childhood, more and more adults are opting for braces to correct their crooked teeth. In fact, research shows that roughly twenty percent of those who get braces are adults.
When you visit the orthodontist for a consultation, they will be able to provide you with information about treatment options that are right for you. However, it’s important to keep in mind some of the considerations you need to think about when getting braces as an adult.
- Duration: Treatment for adults takes longer than children. While it depends on each individual, most often adults spend roughly two years in braces.
- Age and Bone Structure: Unlike children, the bones of adults stop growing at a certain point. Specific structural changes in your mouth or jaw may not be able to be corrected without oral surgery. Braces alone may not correct as many issues as they could have during childhood. However, this does not mean you should rule them out as a possible treatment option.
- Periodontist: If you have had gum disease before, you’ll need to have your orthodontist work in conjunction with a periodontist to monitor your progress. Gum disease can result in bone loss, which can impact your braces and your treatment progress. Let your orthodontist know your entire dental history as it can be imperative for your success with braces.
Are Braces Right for Me?
Some people can go their whole life without corrective dental treatments like braces. However, if you have crooked teeth or issues with your speech, chewing, or even excessive cavities, braces may be right for you. And odds are you are the right age for braces. Below you will find the factors that would make you a good candidate for the best braces Yucaipa has.
- Visibly crooked or overcrowded teeth
- Certain speech sounds feel strained
- Issues with chewing food, such as difficult or tiredness
- Your teeth don’t fully close when you relax and rest your mouth
- Difficulty flossing or brushing around certain teeth
- Biting your lips, tongue, or cheeks accidentally due to issues with your teeth
Benefits of Braces
Traditional metal braces are one of the most common treatment options for correcting crooked teeth. They are highly effective and have major benefits over alternative treatments. For those with complex dental issues, braces are more effective as they can treat a wide variety of issues. In addition to their effectiveness, they are also much easier to clean than the alternative treatment options. Because they are permanently connected to your teeth, you can clean your braces and teeth simultaneously. Attending regular checkups and getting your braces tightened on schedule can also reduce the time you have them on.
Orthodontics in Yucaipa, California
If you have been having issues with your teeth or are considering braces, contact Shodhan Dentistry of Yucaipa. Shodhan Dentistry has the top dentist in Yucaipa, friendly staff, and state-of-the-art facilities. Dr. Shodhan is also the best five-star rated dentist in the area. Each patient receives first-class treatment with an individualized treatment plan. With over a decade of experience Dr. Shodhan can help with all of your dental needs. Contact the office today for an appointment!